Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Discussion About Speed Limits

Alright folks, this one is personal. I have court tonight for my first ever speeding ticket, and it has me in the mood to rant. Let me start by giving you the story.


Cruising down the Taconic on Memorial Day Weekend I kept pace with traffic, which was moving swiftly, as I headed home from a drag race in West Lebanon. Nothing seemed alarming about my speed, I rarely had to pass anyone, and there was adequate space on all sides of my vehicle to perform any braking or evasive maneuvers I may have needed to. About 45min into my trip, I was driving in the left lane when I noticed a Ford Fusion coming up rapidly, finally arriving about 2' from my rear bumper where he stayed. The right lane was too crowded to change lanes, but I noticed an opening a couple of cars ahead, so I accelerated to reach it. As luck would have it, upon doing so, I notice the unmistakable sight of a red and white light bar in my rear view mirror. I did what we all do... drive as calmly as possible until that light bar finally erupts into a nightclub worthy display... along with my temper. Mind you, I have no tickets on my license, none, totally clear. I thought I would get some slack here, but that wasn't the case. In fact, I got a speech about Memorial Day Weekend statistics and accidents and a full lecture on driving, in addition to a hilariously oxymoronic quip that I have a "nice clean driving record and should try to keep it that way..." while being handed my ticket. What was the speed you ask?


78 MPH on the Taconic, which has a 55MPH speed limit.


Sounds like a lot on it's face, that's 23MPH over, which is a hefty fine and a full 6 points on your license. Here's my issue though... try to drive 55MPH on the Taconic during a busy time and tell me it's safe, or even safer than keeping pace with traffic. Traffic is never moving at the speed limit, as far as I've experienced. Try to slow to even 60MPH and you're dodging cars ripping up behind you or driving for an hour one brake check away from a new trunklid. Same goes for many major conduits of travel here in NY, be it 287, the Saw Mill or Bronx River Parkways, etc. Go to pass someone in traffic already moving at 70MPH and wham, you're doing that 78 MPH I got stopped at.


I feel that these speed limits should be updated to reflect current traffic patterns, and the technology of modern cars today. That, or penalties should more accurately reflect more realistic driving situations. Perhaps fines based on relative speed, such as your speed in relation to the next fastest vehicle around you, or traffic conditions. In fact, speed limits haven't been adjusted since the early 90s, and only two areas in the country have speed limits over 75MPH despite limitless roads in several other countries, or "Advisory Speeds" around 80MPH.


Sure, I may be biased at the moment, but I still think it's worth a look. What do you think? Comment below.


See you on the road,


Alexander

2 comments:

  1. Same with the Sprain. Drive under 60 and you're going to get a few middle fingers from people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with the Sprain. Drive under 60 and you're going to get a few middle fingers from people.

    ReplyDelete