Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

On the Horizon: Potential Next Car Picks

As my friends will tell you, I don't hold on to cars for long. I love too many different models to keep from constantly trading and buying and selling, and so my average length of ownership is about a year. It's a miracle the BMW has lasted as long as it has, and I've had cars as for as short as five months. With that said, I'm feeling the itch again, and this time I'm going big.

Literally! I'm dying to drive one of the few car styles I have yet to own; a big muscle sedan. Four doors, a big V8, preferably even a manual, decent handling, these cars are just giant gloved fists ramming their way through traffic. I love it, the sheer grandeur of the concept, and I need to have one. Which one is the question, and I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Number 3: The 2011 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG


Featuring a 6.2L V8, this was the last year the E63 retained the naturally aspirated motor before switching to the biturbo 5.5L. I personally love that 6.2, and it proves to be much lower maintenance than the twin turbo motors. Additionally, this particular year has incurred some amazing depreciation, meaning you can buy the once low six figure car for about the same price as a new Accord. What do you get for that price aside from the incredible 500+hp output and snarling exhaust note? You get the highest representation of the options offered in an E-Class that year, top notch seats, excellent handling, and phenomenally muscular exterior styling. In my opinion this is the year to get. The downside will be the maintenance cost, as a used AMG is no Honda, and you have to expect even routine items will pummel your wallet. An easy example is the front brakes, utilizing two-piece rotors that will run you a cool $2000 a pair. Difficult to find a well maintained and documented example, this car is on my list but only if I find the right one.

Number 2: 2015 Dodge Charger Scat Pak


A sleeper in the Dodge lineup, this four door muscle yacht hides a very serious powerplant under its unassuming hood. Otherwise fairly similar to a standard R/T, this trim gets big Brembo brakes, Bilstein shocks, and of course the monster 6.4L Hemi rated at 485hp. A seriously big car, it can haul a car full of friends with their luggage in the trunk and still have room for snacks. Not that anyone will be eating snacks in my damn car. These things can hustle too, propelling their mammoth heft to 60MPH in the low 4-second range, seriously quick. Not to mention how great they sound, and the surprisingly nice interior and tech offered. A real steal as far as price for performance, also registering with insurance companies for less than the badged SRT models despite the same motor. Advantages here are also CPO coverage given the year, and how little the car will have been driven. That said, it's going to be hard to find one used so soon, and they don't come in manual.

Number 1: 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan


In my opinion, this car is king. Most importantly, you can get the crazy sedans with a manual transmission, which essentially has me sold on the spot. Oh, and the fact that manual is mated to a 556hp supercharged 6.2L V8, one of those LS motors I'm always raving about. That motor also happens to be insanely moddable, with numbers like 700hp and 800hp in reach if you're crazy enough. By the way, I'm crazy enough. Best part is, they're still a Cadillac, and despite some unreal track capability thanks to world class chassis engineering, they have the interior luxury to match the marque. Tough to find an unmolested copy, and with the manual, but this one is the top of my list.

I've driven many things, but most of these things have had only two doors. I'm ready for my first big sedan, but it better have the power to match, and for me that means a V8. I look forward to lighting a cigar in my new boulevard bully, and the thing better be all black.

See you on the road,

Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment